Winter HQ (henquarters)

The Moppet House and coop simply aren’t coping with the vast amount of rain that has fallen over the past six weeks … the coop is leaking water and is even going mouldy in places 😦

So we looked at the possibility of using the Eglu attached to the run – we even moved the garden round to make space to have them side by side – but we couldn’t make it work without major alterations to the run.

We’ve kept hens in the greenhouse before now, just for a few days when they first arrive, before integrating them with our existing brood. We’ve been quite inventive for nesting boxes and roosts. But this time we’re talking about weeks if not months …


Their nest box is a covered cat-litter tray. The branch I found by the side of the road after some tree work on a large hedge nearby. The frame back left is greenhouse shelving, and I’ve attached the two roost bars from the Moppet Coop at different heights (the green trough has now been moved round so they can use it to reach the higher roost if they choose). The upturned flower pots are simply to give some different levels for them to explore. Under the straw are a number of wooden squares on top of chippings, which should make it easier to muck out the straw once a week or as needed.



There’s a drinker just to the left of the feed trough. And a metal mesh panel acts as a gate once the greenhouse door is open, to prevent them escaping while I’m in there with them. I think it will work. We can fence in a patch of grass next to the greenhouse for them, but there’s a raised veg patch quite close that restricts the amount of space they can have. I envisage that they might return to the Moppet House during the summer months. Hopefully, once we’ve had time to sow the bare patch under the apple tree with grass?

I threw some corn into the feed trough to help them find it …


So the Eglu remains available should we decide to add to the Vicarage brood … !

Previous Post
Next Post
Leave a comment


  1. Very inventive, it looks great. I think we are all suffering from these conditions and feathered feet need extra attention of course.

    Luckily my wooden coop is on a paved area under a plastic roof so is fine but the run despite being completely covered in winter is still very muddy in parts. The only dry area is in the centre. I have used wood chip in parts and a board in the worst bit but it’s still not as good I would like it to be and the girls have muddy feet most of the time.

    I keep thinking it must stop raining eventually. I think your new arrangements look really good though and I am sure the moppets appreciate it.

  2. They certainly look happy with your solution. I might ‘borrow’ some of your ideas for my hens!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

  • The Hen House Archive

    Our original hen keeping adventure came to an end in January 2013, when a fox took our entire brood of hens. But don’t let that put you off … you can find the story at The Hen House Archive where there are still lots of stories, photos, and information about keeping hens I hope you'll find useful.

    March 2017 ... All change in the hen garden as the fruit cage run is retired in favour of an electric fence, the veg beds are relocated to put the hens on fresh ground, and the new girls arrive, Dorcas, Delilah and Deanna.

    January 2017 ... Bird flu outbreak and all domestic foul are quarantined until the end of February.

  • Hen Pics

  • Hen Topics

  • Hen Archive

  • Hen Visitors

    • 20,554 clucks
  • Enter your email address to receive notifications of new posts by email.

    Join 199 other followers

  • Advertisements